Hazelnut + Poppy Seeds + Blueberries = Best Cupcakes
I made these cupcakes for my Grandpa’s birthday because he loves everything that contains poppy seeds. He has kept up his daily tradition of having at least one piece of poppy seed cake every day for several years now. I was a little nervous when creating this vegan cupcake recipe because admittedly, it is a little risky to try something completely new for a birthday cake. But luckily, my little experiment with poppy seed cupcakes turned out really good – even my Grandpa approved of them.
Hazelnut & Poppy Seed Cupcakes Recipe
For the crust:
200g Whole grain flour
50g Raw cane sugar
50g Hazelnuts, ground
80g Hazelnut butter
40g Hazelnut oil
1 tbsp Flaxseed, ground
For the filling:
20g Custard powder
30g Raw cane sugar
70g Poppy seeds
- Try different kind of nuts: I’m sure this recipe is also great with almonds!
- Choose a different oil: Instead of hazelnut oil, this recipe also works with canola or sunflower seed oil
- Corn or potato starch: You can easily replace the 20g of custard powder with corn or potato starch
- Add some vanilla sugar to give the cupcakes some more flavor!
If you like it to be sweeter, feel free to add more sugar!
- 200g Whole grain flour
- 50g Raw cane sugar
- 50g Hazelnuts, ground
- 80g Hazelnut butter
- 40g Hazelnut oil
- 30g Soymilk
- 1 tbsp Flaxseed, ground
- 250ml Soymilk
- 20g Custard powder
- 30g Raw cane sugar
- 100g Blueberries
- 70g Poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F.
- Mix one tablespoon of ground flaxseed with three tablespoons of water and let sit for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour, raw cane sugar, and ground almonds in a large bowl.
- Add the hazelnut butter, hazelnut oil, and soymilk and stir well.
- Add the soaked flaxseed and combine well.
- In a pot, heat 200ml of soymilk. Mix the remaining 50ml with 20g of custard powder or starch in a small bowl and add raw cane sugar. Once the soymilk is cooking, add in the mixture and stir for about a minute until it thickens.
- Add the poppy seeds and berries. Combine well.
- Line a muffin tin with 9 baking cups.
- Scoop about two large tablespoons of dough into the prepared muffin tin and create a hole for the filling in the middle. The crust should be as thin as possible. Make sure to save about two tablespoons of dough for the topping.
- Add the filling and top the cupcakes with the rest of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 25min.